Having delivered an extension to the Paediatric A&E department at NGH, Catfoss were tasked with developing a new ITU facility at the hospital.
Project Size: 2,382sqm, Two Storey
Having delivered an extension to the Paediatric A&E department at NGH Catfoss were tasked with developing a new ITU facility at the hospital. The key challenges Catfoss had to address in the building design and delivery were:
- Meet exacting programme deadlines that had already precluded a traditional build based on speed of delivery.
- Design a building to a limited footprint that met access levels to existing departments on the first floor.
- Ensure the design incorporated all required areas (both clinical and administration) in a limited footprint.
- Allow normal operation of the wider site during works without causing any restriction to the movements of staff, patients or visitors.
- Complete delivery while ensuring work could be carried out properly and professionally in the timescales, without compromising on quality or design.
The fully HTM / HBN compliant ITU solution that Catfoss delivered was designed for purpose in close collaboration with the Finance, Estates & Clinical teams at the Trust. As a result, during a visit by the Minister of Health to the ITU, this new state of the art facility was described as a real ‘cherry on the cake’ for Northampton General Hospital.
Staff at the Trust also agree that the 2,382sqm of accommodation provided below exceeded expectations and was delivered with a focus on sustainability.
Ground Floor Modular comprise of:
- 5 No. Isolation Rooms with Gowning Lobbies
- 11 No. Single Bed Bays, one with a 200kg capacity pendant hoist
- Relatives Overnight Stay Accommodation
- Multiple Stores
- Doctors Work Area
- Clean Utility / Drug Store
- Dirty Utility
- Large Staff Communication Base
- Large reception area
- 2 No. Single Offices
- Staff Kitchen
- Interview Room
- Bed lift and stairwell
First Floor comprises of:
- 5no. Consultation Rooms
- Follow Up Room
- 4 bed Wards
- Staff Restroom / Kitchenette
- ICU Consultants Offices
- Radiology Offices
- 16 Desk Open plan Office
- Individual Offices for Ward Manager, Matron and Clinical Lead
- 1 large & 1 small Training rooms
An offsite modular construction from Catfoss was selected as this building method would:
- Provide all these areas in one facility linked directly to the existing hospital
- Complete the development in just 15months
- Provide a modern permanent building that would match the existing estate aesthetic
- Allow existing facilities to remain open during works
- Meet budget & all regulatory requirements
- Simplify the process with a ‘turnkey solution’ from one contractor
While the building modules were being manufactured in the factory, Catfoss undertook site investigations to identify ground conditions followed by installation of building foundations capable of supporting a two-storey build. Following foundation installation, delivery/ craning in of the building commenced. From point of order to handover of an HTM/ HBN compliant building took just 18 months.
As a family-owned business with a proud heritage across four generations, we put consultation and customer service at the centre of everything we do. We look to partner with businesses for mutual benefit, as we have with Northampton General Hospital. If you have challenges around availability of space, think Catfoss and get in touch today.